Don't Get Burned This Holiday Season: Heartworks CPR Offers Tips on Avoiding and Treating Burns
Did you know that burns are among the most common and preventable household injuries - affecting more than one million people each year, many of whom are children? The cold months can be particularly dangerous. Among the most common wintertime burn sources are fireplaces, candles and the stove.
Heartworks CPR, a leader in CPR and first-aid training and CPR certification, has some sound advice on staying safe this winter and protecting your family from getting burned.
- Never leave food unattended while cooking;
- Keep your pan handles pointing inward to protect the hot pan and its hot contents from being knocked off the stove;
- Keep your stove clear of flammable materials including newspapers, dish cloths and food packaging;
- Keep all matches and lighters out of reach of children;
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home and check them regularly;
- Keep a fire extinguisher in a safe, accessible location;
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and animals, extinguish them before going to bed;
- Avoid candles with combustible items embedded in them such as twigs, flowers and leaves;
- Be mindful to keep hot coffee and other hot liquids away from children and wagging tails;
- Hot cocoa doesn't have to be boiling to warm you up - why not try some warm cocoa;
- Don't leave interior holiday lights on when your not at home; turn them off before going to bed;
- Don't store food on top of your stove where animals can jump up and possibly turn on a burner, releasing gas;
- Don't leave you child unattended near a burning fireplace; and
- If your clothes catch fire, remember "STOP, DROP and ROLL."
"Of course the best way to keep you and your family safe from burns is to stay clear of burn sources," said Cindy Zaban, co-founder of Heartworks CPR. She added that small household appliances such as irons, curling irons, toasters, free-standing indoor grills and sandwich makers are all burn sources when in use. "Keep appliances out of reach of young hands and turn them off when not in use."